Saturday, January 29, 2022

In Review

 


Looking over my story so far, I have climbed a mountain that I couldn’t reach last winter; walked on water—the ice of Fremont Lake; slid through meadow and forest on Nordic skis,  snowshoed over deep snow, and disobeyed the covid rules I learned in California.  I have many flaws, but you can’t accuse me of maturing.  
 




Let us suppose for the sake of a happy narrative that I am free to romp like the mind of God, creating here and there little stories from nothing. Whatever I think appears.  




 


To go to the mountains helps me realize myself
they tell me quickly where I am weak
and where I am strong
they tell me how I feel that day
and how much I am changing
they teach me more than a university

 
 

 

WRANGLER CAFE
5:00am - it’s zero degrees outside
6:00am - I go outside, start the jeep
come back inside
6:10am - I’m driving north to Pinedale in the dark
6:30am - six pickups in front of the Wrangler Café 
 



big husky pickups. 
5 cowboys and a cowgirl
sit at the big round table
they talk about horses
cattle and fences
I’m gonna sell out
then retire, one says
I bought one of them mustangs
twenty-five dollars, another retorts
best horse I ever had  
 



Old barn siding on the inside walls
like we had in Tennessee
plaque on the wall, “A Cowboy is a Patriot”
they had a roundup of wild mustangs
700 of ‘em for sale at $25
you have to have the facilities.
one year to train the wild horse
and then you own it  
 



Tiny bubbles in the ice
from rotting corpses
on the bottom
stop rising when they hit the ice
it thickens around them
older bubbles near the surface
recent bubbles deeper  
 



FOOTPRINTS
unlike bubbles in the ice
recent footprints are near me
easy to remember
easy to redo
if only the old ones
were near enough to change 

11 comments:

  1. You are already a god(dess)
    you've walked on water
    as if it were the sky's last chance
    to crackle under your feet
    you've climbed the impossible
    mountain and in those long
    conversations with yourself
    on the road, I suspect you have
    trekked terra incognita
    in your bare feet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lois, if you keep this up, I'll start jumping off ledges into ponds, and climbing up frozen waterfalls. I do appreciate your poetic descriptions.

      Delete
  2. Both you and Lois are inspiring me. I actually have gotten back to walking & hiking lately which also have stirred the poetic juices. It is so lovely traveling vicariously with you, Sharon. Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I'm glad you are back into the wild. I think you too have trekked terra incognita
      in your bare feet.

      Delete
  3. Dear Sharon
    Thank you for sharing and inspiring.
    Such a strange time.

    Forgetfulness
    And inventiveses we strike
    out on our own

    I think we all decide on our own how to negotiate the rough trails...

    Our independent thinking
    Beyond rules
    =
    Different results!


    Wonderful connections
    And sharing


    Thank you for
    Riding the waves
    With us
    From afar!!!

    I put your blog on our Pop up screen tonight.

    More tomorrow 11 am our time

    Hugs to the future

    Ka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we strike out on our own with independent thinking, we decide how to negotiate rough trails beyond rules. We get different results, sometimes with wonderful connections and sharing, completely unexpected. How could we have thought that what we meant was not what we thought, but something better.

      Delete
  4. Why should you change your old footprints, dear one. They have brought you were you are, and it seems quite a magnificent place <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. were=where
    my editor is still asleep, or perhaps is gone trekking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe so, Toti, but I think what might have been. Not an uncommon think, and I hope you don’t think it.

      Delete
    2. This old house in Tennessee where I loved to sit on the porch in the late afternoon til the fireflies came out at night. I suppose everyone sees themselves in your art, Toti.

      Delete
  6. It's the mitts
    on the dogs' paws
    It's the mitts
    on the dogs' paws
    It's the mitts
    on the dogs' paws

    ReplyDelete